The Garretson School Board recognized Mr. Nick Sittig and Ms. Kelby Robinson as our March PRIDE award winners! Mr. Sittig and Ms. Robinson have an incredible impact on our students through their direction of our music programs.
Recently, both music instructors asked their students to provide some feedback with respect to what the music programs mean to them. Students were asked to finish the statement “music makes me feel…” and were also asked to write about the pros and cons of being part of the music program. These are some of the things our students said:
- Music makes me feel confident, proud of myself, dance and love myself.
- Music makes me feel like I’m the only one on earth.
- Music makes me feel happy when I’m down. It puts my frown the other way around.
- Music makes me feel understood.
- To me, band is a way for me to express my creativity and love for music. I enjoy the music we get to play and the friendships you make with other musicians. Not only are you making music, you are making good memories. I wouldn’t change a thing with our band.
- Things I like about band: The feeling of accomplishment when you play something you never thought you could.
- I do really enjoy band, I have always loved music and the fact that I get to help create music with my friends from some of my favorite movies and symphonies gives me joy. Sometimes, when I’ve had a rough day or week, it is relieving to express myself through music. The kids in band are like a family. We may pick on each other but we are also protective of one another and its always nice to have somewhere to fit in. I am overall a reserved person, and being in band has kind of pushed me out of my bubble by giving me the opportunity to step up. I have also been taught to believe in my abilities considering that I am very critical of myself.
Our music programs make a difference in the lives of our students. Ms. Robinson and Mr. Sittig both accept kids where they are, and work hard to push them to perform at levels that they may not even realize are possible. Congratulations, Ms. Robinson and Mr. Sittig! You are part of the PRIDE of Garretson!